Delhi hospital saves lives of 2 patients who accidentally drink sanitizer


New Delhi:
Two patients mistakenly mistook the sanitizer as water, leaving them unable to eat and drink water for months. He has got a new lease of life after doctors at Fortis Hospital performed oesophageal reconstructive surgery.

A 24-year-old boy from Karnataka accidentally drank a sanitizer four months ago. During treatment at a local hospital, a pipe was inserted into his intestine and he was given drinks through the pipe.

On being admitted to Fortis Hospital in Shalimar Bagh, he was found to have a complete wound and obstruction of the entire food pipe and part of the small intestine and stomach. Doctors performed a reconstructive surgery, where a portion of his small and large intestine were used to create a new food pipe.

The surgery lasted for more than five hours after which the patient was kept under observation. Dr Amit Javed, Director, Laparoscopic and Minimal Access Surgery, Fortis Hospital Vasant Kunj and Shalimar Bagh, said in a statement that the patient has recovered very well and is now able to have a normal diet.

In another case, a 20-year-old girl from Kashmir also accidentally drank sanitizer. She was also unable to swallow her own saliva, and was weakened by malnutrition and had lost a lot of weight.

His life was dependent on glucose which was being given to him intravenously.

The challenging surgery lasted more than six hours, as the patient had severe burns and scars in his throat and a stenosis (abnormal tightness of the esophagus) in his esophagus. Doctors created a new food passage using a portion of his stomach and intestine.

Doctors said that she has recovered well.

According to Jawed, oesophageal reconstructive surgery performed by laparoscopic technique may be a hope for patients with damaged food pipe.

Javed explained, “There are corrosive irritants which, if swallowed either intentionally or accidentally, cause severe irritation in the esophagus (food pipe) and stomach. Early symptoms include difficulty breathing, hoarseness, pain in the mouth and throat, drooling, vomiting, and abdominal pain, in severe cases, perforation of the esophagus and stomach.

However, as the acute injury heals, there hardens, resulting in narrowing and obstruction of the food passage. Unfortunately the patient is unable to eat or drink. In severe cases, the patient is unable to swallow even his own saliva.

Treatment consists of initial sessions of endoscopic dilation.

Disclaimer: This is a news published directly from IANS News Feed. With this, the News Nation team has not done any editing of any kind. In such a situation, any responsibility regarding the related news will be of the news agency itself.



.



Source link